Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Keeping up with the Joneses: Are you guilty?


"People buy things they don't need, with money that they don't have, to impress people that they don't like. " I remember hearing that about 17 years ago at a church service. I was so young, but for some reason the message never escaped me. We have a terrible time as a people when it comes to "acting our wage." Why do we do it? Why do we put ourselves in so much financial difficulty to appease the next bitch? Why do we care so much about what "they" think? Does it make you richer? Does it make your life easier? How long does that moment of your disillusioned reality last? Who's happiness are you really seeking to fulfill? Why do we hurt the ones we love most for complete strangers? Do we even know what really makes us happy anymore? Or have we lost track of what that is while trying to "keep up?" What is the "American Dream?" Please explain to me how is it that in such a huge melting pot of a country, there can be such a scripted approach to happiness. It makes no logical sense, but yet and still we fall for it every time. What if bigger really isn't better? What if more is really less? How do we fix this?



I wont pretend to know the answer for everyone because we all have our part to play in this hamster wheel. However, one thing I am in control of is me and that's where it has to start.

1 comment:

juicy said...

Wow I agree that's something I've got to work on

Post a Comment